Happy New Year! I hope that what ever you ended up doing was exactly what you wanted – whether it was a dancing till dawn or curled up on the couch.
With 2015 is officially underway, we have now entered the post New Years “honeymoon” phase.
You know what I mean.
The new year stretches out before us like so many clean pages to be written on. In these early days of January it seems entirely possible that this is the the year that we WILL…
- embrace clean eating
- stop arguing with our parents about politics
- go to the gym every day
- shout less at our children
- finish that home DIY project that has been looking at you accusingly every time you go into the garage.
Resolutions are made. Expensive exercise equipment is purchased. And for a few weeks things go OK.
But because honeymoons are only meant to be temporary, real life inevitably kicks in around mid-February – about the same time as the credit card bills.
This year I decided NOT to set myself up for failure by making resolutions. Resolutions always end up feeling like chores – things you feel you HAVE to do but don’t really want to.
So I decided to make a “Hit List” instead.
A Hit List is made of things you want experience. Its list of a things you’d like to go out and grab with both hands rather than yet another To Do list. Much more positive!
So here is my 2015 Brisbane Hit List – and make sure you don’t miss the important announcement at the end!
Places I want to want to spend more time this year…
1. West End: I’ve been hanging out there a bit lately but I know I’ve only just scratched the surface
2. Newstead: this is uncharted territory – I have heard great, great things but Ive never quite managed to get over there to check them out myself
3. Paddington: a former old stomping ground of mine but Ive lost touch with it over the years. Time for re
Things I want to do more of…
Move: Between my desk job and this blog I do a whole lot of sitting! So I want to get moving again because I love how strong it makes me feel.
Theatre: there are so many world class shows and Brisbane’s many theatres. I need to get to more of them.
Live Music: I love going to gigs. LOVE IT. Every time I do go I ask myself why I don’t go more often. This year I’m going to fix that.
Get outta Brisbane more often: I want to take the boys on bush walks and swim in swimming holes. Before they are teenagers and look at me like I’ve got 3 heads when I suggest a bush walk. I also want to stop for afternoon tea in country towns and taste some of the amazing regional produce that’s on our doorstep.
Events I DO NOT want to miss…
1. The Brisbane Festival – I only got a tiny taste of it last year and I want MORE
2. Mercedes Benz Fashion Festival – I’ve never been to a catwalk show before and MBFF is the perfect place to do it.
3. This is the big one… The Woodford Folk Festival!! After years of umming and ahhing about taking the plunge I’m finally going to round up the family and GO!
What I really want to do is to help YOU make the most of life in Brisbane.
So I’m excited to announce that from this month onward you can get all the info you need right in your inbox by signing up to the Our Town Brisbane News – my new monthly newsletter and event listing!
The first one will go out on Friday 30th January so subscribe now to make sure you don’t miss it.
Happy 2015 everyone!